We are going to try to write this post before I completely collapse on the keyboard from exhaustion. Although I do not yet know which time zone I am in, I do know that I am not actually on my own.  Despite the distance between here and Madrid, I was able to complete all of my weekend errands and take the kids around the city. Yes, I'm discovering that in addition to being a full-time mom, I also work part-time as a chauffeur.

Anything with coconut fascinates me still. It has a wonderful tropical flavor, and all of a sudden, I close my eyes and imagine myself on the beach wearing a straw hat (the sun is bad for you). Additionally, I adore recipes that are both easy and bizarre, and this one certainly falls into that category. This dish appeared in Bon Appetit several months ago. Coconut milk was one of the few ingredients that appeared at first glance. After reading the description, I almost wanted to taste the cake before making it. I was in the mood for a custard-like cake that was both custardy and creamy.

This cake had a lot of interest. I wasn't particularly impressed because there wasn't coconut ice cream. Although the cake lacked a lot of flavors, I liked its texture, and once the coconut ice cream was on top, I felt like I was on vacation. That food can do that is amazing, and boy do I need a vacation, please, with some coconut ice cream on the side.

Ingredients: 

  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided; additional 
  • 1.4 cups semolina flour 
  • 1 large egg
  • 114 ounces of coconut ice cream
  • Coconut ice cream  and toasted unsweetened coconut flakes (for serving) 
  • Coconut milk 112 cups half-and-half 134 cup sugar 
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt 

Preparation: 

Preheat the oven to 425°.Butter a baking dish 8 by 8 inches. In a large dry skillet, toast semolina for about 2 minutes, stirring, until it is darkened and has a nutty aroma. Cool down.

Whisk together the egg, half-and-half, sugar, salt, and 1 tbsp of coconut milk. in a large pan, and melt butter. Whisk in the semolina gradually as you bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat. Continue whisking until the mixture becomes very thick and pulls away from the sides of the pan, which should take about four minutes. Fill a baking dish with the batter.

The cake should be baked for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Put the dish on a rack made of wire. Apply the remaining 1 Tbsp to the cake. butter; allow to slightly cool. With coconut ice cream and coconut flakes on top, serve.